New York City College of Technology
Robotics & Intelligent Systems Laboratory
Home >> >> CET4925 Internet of Things
Instructor: Dr. Li
Office Hours: Thur & Fri 1:30~2:30PM (Spring 2017)
Welcome to CET4925 Internet of Things! A fasinating and rapidly booming technology field, the Internet of Things (IoT), is revealing here. This webpage can simply be reached by Googling "City Tech IoT Dr. Li" or "City Tech CET 4925 Dr. Li".
Course Description (from College Catalog):
Introduction to the architecture of Internet of Things (IoT) and
the basics of key technologies for developing an IoT system,
including physical computing,
87~89.99 B: 83~86.99
• Course Syllabus: Detailed information about the course policies, including pre-requisitives, textbook, grading policy, and other course policies.
• Labs & Lab Reports Requirements: Detailed requirements on lab experiments and lab reports (including report's content and format).
Guide on How to Write Technical Report: A
very good guide written by IET (Institute of Engineering &
Technology, the largest international non-for-profit engineering
professional organization dated back to 1871).
Course Project Documents:
• Course Project General Requirements: General description and requirements on course project.
• Parts List for Course Project: A reference part list for your project (Reminder: This list is not complete).
• Websites to Order Parts: Some common websites from which you can order parts.
Proposal Requirements: Detailed requirements on the
project proposal, including its content and
Additional requirement on project proposal:
A project management profile (a Gantt chart for your project
timeline and task division) MUST be included in the proposal.
You can use Microsoft Project or an open-source software named
as "ProjectLibre" to creat such a chart. See items
about "ProjectLibre" in the blow for details.
• Final Project Report Requirements: Detailed requirements on the final project report, including its content and format.
• A Sample "Midterm Project Proposal": A Midterm Project Proposal written by a team in EMT2461 class in the semester of Spring 2014. Please read the instructor's comments in this sample proposal to understand what is good and what is bad.
is a major open source software as the leading alternative to
Microsoft Project. Download and use it to generate the project
management profile (called "Gantt Chart")
for your Project Proposal! Download link is here.
• Tutorial of
ProjectLibre: A simply tutorial of ProjectLibre
which was used by another class in Fall 2012. Please read and
follow the steps described there thorougly. You will get
familiar with ProjectLibre right away! (Note:
The project file and the Gantt chart created through this
tutorial is in the following item.)
Edison Overview and Tech Specifications Tech
specifications and brief overview of Intel Edison published by
Intel in 2014. Copyright@Intel Inc.
• Intel's official documentation on mraa C/C++ library Intel's tech documentations on mraa C/C++ library (GPIO, PWM, I2C, SPI, UART, ...)
• Intel Edison on instructables.com http://www.instructables.com/id/Intel/
• Intel IoT Platform Architecture White Paper: A white paper published by Intel regarding Intel IoT platform architecture. Copyright@Intel Inc. NEW!!
• Get Started with IBM Watson IoT Platform:
IBM's official tech documentations on IBM Watson IoT Platform.
Startup & Entrepreneurship:
• IoT Startups and Companies in NYC: Do you know that 27 IoT startups in NYC have raised total $46M by 2016?! NY's hottest IoT startups and successful companies featured by builtinnyc.com. NEW!!
• IoT Angel List: See what is happening out there now. In addition, you can find a job in IoT startups via this website. NEW!!
Tentative Class Schedule:
Note: Click available links (in red color) in the following table for lecture slides.
Open Lab Hours: Thursday 12~2PM, V606/608
Projects in the Current Semester:
You can simply use your smartphone or tablet to scan the following 2D barcode to access this webpage on the go.
Follow me on Twitter for Course Annoucements:
As an instructor in computer engineering, I am
determined to introduce the most up-to-date technologies and
materials into the classroom. I am also determined to apply the
most current or leading technology tools into the classroom,
which reflects the state-of-the-art or trend of new computing
and information technologies.
You can simply use your smartphone to scan the following 2D barcode to access my twitter. Follow me on twitter for any future annoucements, news and discussions regarding our class.
• Seminar of "Big Data Analytics
and its Applicaitons in Business": The Computer
Engineering & Robotics Technology Seminar Series feature "Big
Data Analytics and its Applications in Business" by Dr. Shim from
College of Staten Island/CUNY on May 4, 2017 (Thur), during
12:45~1:45PM, in room V614. A great opportunity to learn the
latest technologies and developments on big data and data
Tech Council IoT Conference 2017 on April 26, 2017:
The annual NJ Tech Council IoT Conference 2017 will feature
AWS IoT cloud and AT&T foundry, Smart City, smart
transportation, many IoT projects demo and networking reception.
It will be hold at Steven Insititution of Technology, Hoboken, NJ,
on April 26, 2017. If interested, please contact Dr. Li for
free-registration promotion code by April 12. See the link here for detailed conference
Created in January 2017; Last Update on Aug. 20, 2017